Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Military & My Career

So I never realized how hard it was for a spouse of a service member to have a career or even establish one. I am a college student, I have been for awhile, might as well be a career college student since I feel as if I will never graduate. I was originally going to school to be a psychologist and become a family and marraige counselor. Well after 3 1/2 years I had an epiphany and decided I didnt want to do that. So I changed my major to PTA (physical therapy assisting). Well after finding that I really enjoy this and taking the pre-reqs to apply for the program, my hubby tells me we got orders to Germany. At first I am ecstatic then I realize I cant do the PTA program because you have to be physically here. Bummer right... So I am sitting here at a cross roads trying to figure out what to do. So as I go through all the degrees my school has to offer, I see I am six classes from being able to get an Associate's degree in Allied Health, whatever that is. I figure I might as well take this so I can at least have a degree, but I know this isnt what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Then last night I am laying in bed and talking to my husband about how I am about to be 24 and I dont know what I want to be when I grow up. He tells me to do something I love and am passionate about. So I am sitting there thinking and it hits me. What do I like to do??? Bake! I love to be in the kitchen making something up. Hmmm maybe I should open a bakery become a baker. Then I thought can I even do that because ever four years we will be moving. How do all you other Military wives balance a career and always moving? Who ever thought that when we graduated high school at 18 we would know what we wanted to do for the rest of our adult life was sadly mistaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment